Monday, January 17, 2011

1,292 Stories



 
A few weeks ago my daughter, Trista, ran in a half-marathon, 13+ miles.  What an awesome, interesting thing to watch!  The picture shows only a portion of the participants coming over the first bridge.  There was something that really impacted me about seeing that.  As Trista passed us (Allan, Alejandro, me, and Tasia, the dog) I was so thankful to see her meeting a substantial new challenge.  She was working really hard at trying to live life.  It was reassuring. 

I realized I knew her "story".  So I began to think about what motivated all of the others.  I was wishing I knew a few of their "stories".   Especially since there was such a variety of people.  People of different ages and different body builds.  People of different color.  Of course there had to be all types of vocations and educational backgrounds represented.  There were even soldiers in the mix.  So many differences.  But they shared this race.  

Some probably did it simply because they love the sport.  A few wore cancer tee shirts, so my assumption was that the race was being run to honor someone or in  memory of someone.   A few, way behind all the others and plugging along, were probably doing it for the health benefits.  Although I didn't know for sure that was their story, it didn't really matter.  I admired them and found them inspiring.  I felt like I could almost literally see their focus and determination.

Some, I assume had stories like Trista's.  They needed a distraction, a challenge, something at a painful time in life.   Living life had been a task, one that sometimes felt useless.  I found I wanted to yell something encouraging to each and every one. 

I don't know how many started the race.  1,292 finished it.  1,292 people with their own individual stories,  sharing the human experience of a challenge.  I wish I knew a few of the other stories.  Just seeing them meet the challenge was inspiring and uplifting.  Imagine if I had an opportunity to get the stories!  I wish we could see more of life this way:  individual and unique stories, but bound together in the common struggle of trying to live life.  Wonder how that would change things?