Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Navy Seal

I recently had a wonderful and unexpected surprise at the YMCA pool.  Since Trista does not teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we swim.  It has obviously been healthy for us, both physically and emotionally.

The Y has a total of three pools, two indoor, having a total of 10 “double” lanes, and one outdoor.  There are always a certain number of lanes left open for lap/free swimming.  But between 2 and 4 PM is a really good time to find a lane without much of a wait, if any.  So that is when we go, of course.  Usually we can get a lane to share.  No problem.

This particular day either we were a little later or more people were swimming that day.  There was no one lane to share, so we had to split up.  On an end lane a young man was taking a momentary rest.  I asked if I could share his lane.   Once in the water I noticed that he had what appeared to me very intricate techniques, such as I had never seen before.  And it seemed he could swim on his side under water for a good little distance.  A young woman was sitting poolside and I noticed that she had spoken with him several times.  So as I was resting and he was not, I mentioned to her that I appreciated sharing the lane, that he was quite impressive.  Or some such thing.   She explained he didn’t mind at all; that he was probably worried about accidentally kicking me.  She went on to say that he and his buddy swim together and if they kick each other, no big deal.  I asked if he were on some type of team.  Because of his age, I knew it could not be high school, so I was curious what it could be.  Come to find out, I was swimming next to a Navy Seal.  Wow!  No wonder I was seeing some type of swimming I had never seen before!  I had previously noticed a banner saying the pool was a Navy Seal Test Site.  But who would have thought?  I was just there for my Tuesday swim!

At some point we were both on the shallow end taking a breather.  (Well, okay, maybe he was taking a breather and I was gasping for breath, but whatever!)  I asked him his name and we chatted briefly.  It was the day after the Supreme Court decision Snyder vs. Phelps.  I told him how badly I felt about such a thing happening to anyone connected with the military; that I hated to see any family subjected to such disrespect.  He agreed.  I thanked him for what he was going to do.  He seemed to appreciate it.  But honestly, I had gotten a very sick feeling in my stomach when I heard why he was there.   I am naïve, but I do know what types of missions Navy Seals must complete.  As I was leaving the pool I told him I would be praying for him.  And I asked permission to use his first name and write about swimming next to him.  His name is Brennon. 

On my way to the showers I stopped to speak with the young woman again.  As it turned out she was his wife, Ashton.  She explained that he had chosen to come to Wilmington to train; that normally he and his buddy train 4-5 hours a day (just swimming, I think).  Evidently she was a runner and would run with him along the beach, at least as long as she could.  This was another part of his intensive training.  On the 20th or 21st of March he would be flying out.  I am sorry to say that I do not remember where.  The next day her mother was coming to pick her up.  Within a short time she would be able to join him again.  His training period?  Three years!!!   Brennon is at the top of his class. 

I got her email so I could send them a copy of what I wrote.  I intend to do that.  But now that I have written it, I am unpleased with just the “accounting” of what happened.  I would rather be able to somehow put into words what an unexpected surprise and fun experience it was to meet them.  I would rather be able to give any reader a sense of how special a couple they seem.  I would rather be able to write something that they would read and feel uplifted and proud of who they are.  I just hope the fact that I liked them enough to try and write anything will encourage them.  I wish I had met them sooner.  And that they were not leaving Wilmington.  I would be inviting them to dinner.  I am already enriched by my brief encounter with them.  Imagine if I could spend a little time with them!

1 comment:

  1. I had to look up Snyder vs. Phelps; I think you've mentioned it before though.

    I'm sure they will be pleased with your post. I'd say, ""Mission Accomplished," despite the fact that you feel you didn't quite say what you wanted. I think you did well.

    ReplyDelete