Thursday, October 25, 2012

Something Special For My Thanksgiving List


We’re on the train.  We are on our way.  Where?  Why, to the middle of a field to buy a hotdog and have some pennies flattened, of course!.  The day is sunny and the temperature mild.  And everyone seems to be loving every minute of it, as am I.  

I’m in Western New York for my aunt’s memorial service.  I had planned the trip so as to arrive a day and a half before the day of the service and get to stay three days afterwards.  And looking around at the sweet, happy faces of my sister’s granddaughters I am SO glad I did.  I am sitting on the aisle side of the seat.  Next to me, by the window is Maddy, who is in first grade.  In the seat facing us are Abby, my sister’s oldest grandchild, and Maddy’s big sister, the third grader and Avery, only 3 weeks younger than her cousin Abby.  (Their fathers are twin brothers.)  Next to Avery, having the window seat is Jillian, Abby and Maddy’s 4 year old sister.  On my lap is 5 month old Emma, the baby sister of Abby, Maddy, and Jillian.  My sister’s two grandsons aren't with “us girls”.  Gavin the 2 year old and lonely brother of Abby, Maddy, Jillian and Emma is with daddy, mommy and his grandparents.  Eli, Avery’s baby brother, not yet two, went to the farmer’s market with his mommy.  They will come later to Grandma’s house for pizza.  So, as I said, it’s just us girls. 

We talk school, our favorite foods, our favorite colors, etc.  I, Aunt Jeannie, learn new stuff; favorite books and movie characters, most of which I know nothing about.   The girls are more than glad to help get me in the know.  They are patient and explain things if I have to ask important follow up questions.  I make sure to turn my head to each one so as to acknowledge her contribution to the teaching I am receiving.  Did you know that you can learn an awful lot, even if everyone explains things to you at the exact same time?  And that’s even if you wear hearing aids!  And oh yeah, we are eating popcorn.  Today it doesn't matter if we eat popcorn in the morning, practically right before lunch.  And just let me tell you, that popcorn is good!

We arrive at the field.  There is a little building that is like what a train station used to be like; the kind that has no town or other buildings around it.  That’s where they sell the hotdogs.  And there are railroad tracks with another big steam engine sitting on them.  We can check it out.  “And guess what, Aunt Jeannie?  You can put a penny down on the extra tracks and that steam engine will back over all the pennies and they get totally flat!  It’s kind of awesome!” 

We have eaten our hotdogs, without too much catsup or anything on our shirts!  Gavin’s had to be broken in half because he couldn't hold it whole.  Then he still threw it on the ground!  But, he’s only two.  That’s what two year olds do sometimes. 

The train is about to back up and flatten the pennies.  Wow!!  It makes so much steam that you can’t see for a minute.  And the noise is LOUD

There are lots of flattened pennies on the tracks now.  We found all ours.  And Aunt Jeannie is going to take hers to show Uncle Allan.   In a few minutes we have to get back on the train.   None of us but Abby see her at first.   A girl, just a short distance from where we are gathered, is disappointed and crying.  She can’t find her penny.  Abby is already approaching the girl, her hand outstretched.  “It’s okay.  I have extra and you can have one.”  The little girl happily takes the penny offered.  She is NOT going home without that treasure of a flattened penny!

I am touched.  There isn't a split second of hesitation on Abby’s part.  I don’t even know how she saw the disappointed little girl among all these people.  But she did.  Good for her!

We all board the train for the return trip to the main railroad station.  This has been fun! On the train ride returning us from the railway stop the girls’ grandpa comes with his camera to take pictures of all of us sitting together.  Everyone gets to take a turn using the camera.  A man goes up and down the aisle playing an accordion and singing songs.  We all bask in the pleasure of the day.  We still have the pizza and ice cream to look forward to!  Avery’s daddy, her mommy and Eli are coming and we can all be together.  We discuss what we like on our pizza.  AND, by the way, we are having ice cream for dessert!  Favorite ice cream flavors and toppings are shared; each of us explaining why we like what we do.  Honestly, in that moment I can think of nothing more important than hearing personal Ice cream preferences.  I secretly hope that all the world leaders who attend peace conferences and economic summits also get to have this kind of ice cream seminar.  It would be beneficial to them personally, as a way to reduce stress.  But I would hope it would provide and/or reinforce the why for such world meetings; all those little faces.  I imagine it would help if they could picture those little faces smudged with various ice cream flavors, smiling delightedly in appreciation for not only the treat itself, but the fun of sharing it. 

The train ride, the hotdogs, the flattened penny, the pizza, and of course, the ice cream dessert, make for a great day.  BUT, getting to share those things with these beautiful, (And believe me when I say BEAUTIFUL!), friendly, kind nieces of mine is what really makes for a great day!!  In fact, it isn’t even Thanksgiving yet, but this day is going to be something I put on my list of extra special things to be thankful for!
  

1 comment:

  1. You have painted a great picture with your words. I find it poignant in some way.

    ReplyDelete