Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Christmas Eve and New Family Traditions

A few days before Christmas Trista and Ale were over, the weather was nice, and we were having coffee on the new screened-in porch.  Our son-in-law Ale (Alejandro) is from Mexico.  I asked if his family had any foods that were part of their traditions.  Christmas Eve they have Pozole (a soup handed down from indigenous peoples) and taquitos.  The pozole is made with stock, meat or poultry, hominy and onion.  Although the meat is more traditionally pork, Ale’s family always has chicken. I always try to incorporate foods he likes into any of our holiday meals.  This time I suggested we have only what his family would be having.  Everyone liked that idea.
Once cooked, there are a number of additional ingredients individuals may choose to add to their soup: radishes, avocado, cabbage, lime (SO good in soup!  Who would have thought?), oregano, queso fresco, additional onion and salsa.  Taquitos are heated corn tacos, stuffed with a potato mixture similar to our mashed potatoes, then rolled and fried. 
I’ve included pictures.    It was all SO delicious.  I ate four (yes, I said 4!) taquitos.  Everyone was totally amazed.  I suggested the meal become our Christmas Eve family meal as well.  They readily agreed.  The great thing is that I don’t have to wait until next Christmas Eve to again enjoy the meal.  It is traditional for Ale’s family to have the soup and taquitos also on February 2nd.  I’ll write about that in another post, probably as an addition to a description of our January 6th get together.    
Without queso fresco or salsa


Mine, without anything too spicy or hot


The way Allan, Trista and Ale prefer it


PS   Writing something this brief and concise just feels wrong!!  So not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment