Saturday, March 3, 2012

Yeah Ellen!

March 3, 2012

Yeah Ellen!
It is almost 5:30 Saturday morning.  I’m tired so I wasn’t going to get up until about 6:30 today.  But once I was awake I felt like there are things worth getting up and “fighting” for, so to speak.  Taking a stand is rarely easy or convenient, so here I am. 
We saw a television commercial last night with Ellen DeGeneres.  She is trying to return something to a store.  When asked why, she explains, “It’s a skort.”  Unfazed, the man behind the counter asks for her receipt, which Ellen does not have.
Now switch to ancient Rome.  The streets are jammed.  People are everywhere.  There is a counter of some kind beneath a portico.   A woman, wearing her toga and laurel wreath, steps up to this counter with a return.  The man behind the counter asks the reason for the return.  The woman begins an explanation, saying it isn’t the right size.  The color is wrong.  It doesn’t have a zipper.  The man who must be convinced to let the woman return this toga is bemused and begins saying "zipper?" 
This causes an aside from the toga returning.  An exchange of pronunciation attempts and corrections follows.  I believe the woman gets confused and her pronunciation now sounds like that of the gentleman behind the counter.    
Then there is that dreaded request for a receipt.  The woman doesn’t have it.  As if that weren’t bad enough, somewhere along the line is this return effort, a second man behind the counter has become involved and also insists on a receipt. 
In frustration this Roman woman contends “This is crazy!”  She turns to the crowd and, thinking they need to be as indignant as she, begins to rile them up by repeating, “This is crazy!”   The crowd responds. 
It’s at exactly this point when JCP’s new logo of a square box appears.  And I think the web site address is shown and Ellen’s name is there as well.  I don’t know for sure because I was both laughing and cheering Ellen on. 
Even if there had not been controversy because the “traditional American family values” mothers were incensed that Ellen was chosen as the JCP spokesperson, this would be a commercial that should win an award.  It is creative.  It uses Ellen’s comedic talents perfectly.  It clearly gives the advertising message that returns to JCP are without hassle.  AND, unlike many commercials, even good ones, the viewer remembers what product/company is being advertised.  But the fact that it is so outstanding makes you feel like there is some fairness and justice.  Yeah Ellen!  The commercial’s only negative is that the One Million Moms will have real difficulty finding anything that corrupts their children.  But then again, hatred sees what it wants to see, so I am probably wrong about that. 
Oh!  Let me interrupt myself and tell you about Ellen’s response to the One Million Moms.  Allan found it for me, knowing I would love to watch it for myself.  Ellen explained that she rarely responds to her haters, but that in this case, her haters are her motivators.  (Love it!)  She goes on to clearly and definitively state the values she stands for:  honestly, equality, kindness, compassion, treating others the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need.  Wow!  Oh wow!  No wonder those mothers didn’t want her speaking for a department store!
You know what I wish?  I wish the commercial could automatically appear on the personal computers of the One Millions Moms.  They turn on their computers this morning and there it is.  I know, I know.  That is not right.  But it is honest.  And I am trying to be ashamed of myself.  Really I am. 
In fact, I am so sincere in wanting to be ashamed, I will give it more thought as I drive to JCP for new towels we need.  We DO need them.  Seriously.  We do.  And who knows?  Maybe giving JCP my business will be just what I need to make me ashamed of myself.  I’ll let you know. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't think which of Helen's values the Mom's would find offensive.

    ReplyDelete