Thursday, March 1, 2012

February's Savings For The Children


I love it, of course.  We saved $99.70 this month for “my kids”!!  How cool is that?  We’ll round the check to $100 and send it off right away. 
Just like last month, if the purchase was taxable, I added the applicable sales tax for the amount saved.   So here’s how we did it this month:
$22.60 savings from one grocery store by taking advantage of weekly sales and buying on Thursdays in order to get the senior discount for which Allan qualifies.
$32.73 from another grocery store.  Although it offers no senior discount, they have some good weekly sales.
$2.60 by getting McDonald’s senior coffee and Wendy’s 5% discount for seniors.
$9.72 saved on a blouse Allan saw on sale and came home with as a surprise.
$3.00 savings by using a coupon for Pepperidge Farm cinnamon raison bread.  That worked great.  I like cinnamon raison bread but rarely buy it.  I think it is just too costly at $2.99 for a small loaf.  I can make it in my bread machine or by hand, either of which is fun.  Anyway, instead of just getting the loaf for free, the store credited the bill with the penny to give me the full $3.00 for the coupon!
$21.40 savings on the purchase of a wireless printer. 
$7.65 on flowers to make an arrangement for the new screened in porch.  I bought when the flowers were 40% off.

At the beginning I spoke of how much we saved for “my kids”.  I’ve noticed that I now refer to them as such.  When we are out I tell Allan not to let me forget to record the savings for “my kids”.  If deciding to give something up, I say I will give the money to “my kids” instead.  Amazing how quickly and easily something can become personal, in a good way, if we let it!
When I post this I am going to see if I can have a running total of the 2012 savings along the side of the blog, like I have the list of books.  (This reminds me I have a lot of books to add to that list when I get the time.)  If it is not there, I’ll keep working on it until I find out how to do it.
So, to summarize, we have saved $298.49 YTD.  Last month’s check resulted in $1,180 of benefit to children and families here at home and the world over!  Like I said, how cool is that?

PS  Well, I managed to add the lists of savings and benefits along the side.  But I can't figure out how to make the titles smaller or make the numbers be in color.  For now, I'm just happy I got the important part added!

1 comment: