Thursday, October 6, 2011

Natalia's Kiss

It was just as we were leaving and it was ever so light.  But it was so perfect.  I can still feel it now, a touching memory.

It was a good day.  We started out on a “Surprise Adventure” early in the day.  The heat wouldn’t really allow us to do otherwise.  And, as it turned out, it was also necessary because the heat was a factor for the beautiful creatures that were the focus of our adventure. 

Trista kept the destination a secret from all of us, including Ale.  She was taking us to Airlie Gardens to the butterfly house to celebrate our 41st anniversary on August 8th.  The setting was serene.  I very much liked the sculptures, in diverse and eclectic mediums.  The butterflies were beautiful!  There weren’t the 14,000 varieties found in Costa Rica, of course.  But there were enough for us to appreciate how unique each variety was.    


I really wanted a butterfly to land on me.  I kept waiting, hoping for this small “gift”; a gift surely without meaning to anyone who hasn’t had to search for little moments of encouragement and the feeling of being close to a sweet lost child.  I understand that.  And I hope most, or at least as many as possible, never understand.  That would be a good thing.  But, I needed to look up and feel as if the sun were shining on my face in some special way.  And that the occasional slight breezes were, in fact, meant specifically to refresh my spirit.  Finally one came to sit a brief moment or two on my skirt.  I stayed very still so a picture could be taken, of course.  I was honestly thankful for that little butterfly, but, still, I wanted some special experience, I guess. 





And just as we were leaving, at that very last moment, one came to rest on my shoulder; not on an article of clothing, but on my person.  As I write this, I am aware that to describe the significance that moment held for me is impossible.  I can only say that sometimes the “non-events” of life simply touch one’s very core. I know it was not a big thing, but to get this one little wish granted was like getting a kiss from Natalia.  That’s what it was in my mind; a kiss just for me!  A kiss encouraging me to have a good day. 
A kiss to remind me that she is surrounded by the kind of beauty and serenity I had just enjoyed.  A kiss to remind me that one day I will get that kiss in person.  And I will be able to kiss that little face in return.  Maybe we will be in a field of butterflies.  I can make a game of it, and kiss her each and every time a butterfly flits anywhere near us.  I can only imagine the giggling!  No doubt, her laughter is the music to which the dance of those butterflies is perfectly choreographed.

1 comment:

  1. That's very sweet. I once had butterflies land on me at a momentous time for several mornings in a row. It gave me a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete