Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thanksgiving List Revisited

January 17, 2012                 

Thanksgiving Wish List Revisited

I almost don’t know where to start.  There are SO many things I’ve been thinking about but, for a good number of reasons, have not written about. After debating with myself about a beginning point, I decided on revisiting last year’s Thanksgiving Wish List.  And what a good choice!  I had determined that I would be happy for any favorable outcome, but it was far better than I had thought would be true! 
Last year, late January or beginning of February, I shared my reflections about Thanksgiving time, 2010.  At the end of that post, I said that if I were still blogging in November 2011 I would come back and take a look at the wish list I created since I truly wanted the things enumerated to be true one year later.  Here’s that look back, along with comments on just how much of my wish list came to be.
A family that is healing.  We now at least know we are dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and specialized counseling has fairly recently been added to the regular grief counseling.  We understand that things might get worse before they get better; but I am focusing on the “get better” part.  Just hearing those words are a gift.

Friends who will tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear.  Just yesterday, a friend straightforwardly and readily gave me an opinion when I said I welcomed any input about a plan I have.  It was a great help and I appreciated it.  Thankfully, that is just one example of the good friends I have. 

A new sense of purpose, clearly defined.  A week or so ago I would have categorized this wish as unfulfilled.  BUT, I’ve decided that might not really be an accurate assessment.  The other morning I was watching the sun come up.  This beautiful peachy-pink dawn was slowly peeking above the pine trees.   It occurred to me that maybe that sunrise could be a representation from nature of how I might find my way.  Maybe I’ve been expecting a “revelation” more comparable to the sudden switching on of a flood light?  But it might be that I need to slowly grow into whatever purpose for which I have been searching.  That is a refreshing idea that requires more thought

If the above is not possible, at least some strong indication, some framework or outline regarding a purpose.   I feel like some of the things I’m trying to do, such as encouraging thought on compassion, visiting some of the elderly, and encouraging younger friends are all good, in and of themselves, at least for right now.  I’m thankful enough that I don’t feel like I’m TOTALLY missing something.   I did not like that feeling.

To know someone is thankful I am on the planet, simply because s/he felt appreciated and/or encouraged by me.  Okay, this one I am excited about and it explains, at least in part, my update regarding the wish directly above.  At Easter time Allan gave a concert for the “ Keenagers”  at church.  (Just as an aside, those celebrating birthdays that month included 5 above the age of 90!  I particularly like the guy who is 95 and has always refused to use a cane, preferring to use the putter from his golf days, simply turned upside down.  You have to love it!)  The woman who was    supposed to do the devotionals had forgotten.  However, she did not hesitate.  She proceeded to share a brief thought and immediately reinforced it by reciting an appropriate poem, of fairly good length.  It was great!  The next time I saw her I stopped her to tell her that I hoped to have the opportunity to hear her speak and recite again.  Think of a child at Christmas and you’ll have her reaction.  Anyway, recently she was sitting in the pew in front of me.  She turns around, grabs my hand, and says, “There’s the woman who says such nice things to me and makes me feel so good!”  I don’t recall my response, but how sad that months after speaking with her, she was still excited by the appreciation.   It takes so little doesn’t it, really?

To do whatever I can to continue to enjoy good health, physically and mentally.  I’m doing the best I can, not only by “planned” physical exercise, but by trying to build more activity into my daily life.  I park as far away from a store as possible.  I don’t hesitate to make numerous trips up the stairs, etc.  To stay healthy mentally I try to memorize things, use my left hand for some tasks, learn new things about technology, or just whatever.  

To have enough deep, sincere concern for all children, so as to want no hungry tummies or inequality of education, as well as the provision of healthy and safe environments.  I decided to act on this and we made a specific plan on how to save more to  allot for children.  I’m very excited about it and will hopefully post a summary of the idea and give regular updates.

To love others enough that I want those I know and those I do not to have whatever health care they need, regardless of what they are or who they are.  Well, considering I have a number of friends who now have serious health issues and the corresponding costs, I can say I feel more strongly than ever about this issue

That we value maintaining relationships and worthwhile discussion enough that we have learned to agree to disagree.  Need I say anything?  

That “all or nothing” thinking represents not the norm, but rather the exception to the rule.     Again, need I say anything, other than I will keep wishing?  Maybe some day

That we experience the “givens”, which I defined as the end of our wars, more jobs, etc.   I, for one, am SO very thankful we are no longer in Iraq.  Not too long go, I saw somewhere the picture of an Iraqi mother holding the body of her 4 year old daughter.  Thankfully, for me, the little girl’s body was already wrapped in preparation for burial.  So I didn’t have to see her little face.  But I did see the mother’s face.  I kept thinking if we had already been out of the country, even by several months, that mother would not be burying her child. 

All in all, I have to say I am pleased I went through this review exercise.  How could I not be thankful? 

 P.S.  Oh, how could I have forgotten? I meant to brag about my technological skills.   (I really wanted to find a euphemism, but I guess I’ll not pretend it is anything other than bragging.  Darn!)  In the hopes my brother, the one who refers to me as “technologically challenged” reads this, I was going to disclose (brag) that I am writing this on a laptop!  And I’m not even using a mouse!    All touch pad.  (Okay, so originally I called it touch “screen” and Allan had to correct me.  Some of us just learn more slowly than others!)   Anyway, I, the person who began this blog with child-like delight at doing something with technology, no less!  (My very first blog post was entitled “Hey, Look At Me Doing Something With Technology!  Go Figure!) 
Trista and Ale got a new laptop quite a while ago and gave us this one, especially so I could be outside enjoying the new screened-in porch and the fresh air while writing.  And I will do so as soon as we get the electricity, fan, etc. complete.  In the meantime, I am learning a newer version of Word, not to mention developing better hand/eye coordination.  I am particularly proud of these accomplishments since I am a woman who never learned to tape anything on a VHS video tape recorder.   Cool, right?





    

1 comment: